Self Build Homes with ACA
Are you interested in building your own dream home? Well, Allan Corfield Architects Limited (ACA) are perfectly suited to provide the required architectural services for your project.
We provide a tailored service to suit our clients’ needs. As each client has their own individual requirements, it is paramount we develop a close working relationship with our clients – in order to successfully achieve your Self Build dream.
This relationship begins with a free initial ACA consultation, as we feel it is important to meet with all potential clients, and develop an impression of what their dream home consists of. In understanding the way our clients live, ACA can deliver a bespoke proposal to match the specific wishes of each and every client.
However, at ACA we also understand the difficulties faced by the first time Self Builder. We endeavour to guide them through each stage of their project – offering a service that goes well beyond the initial design process. From the traditional parts of the architect’s role – such as the planning, building control and technical drawings for the Self Build – right through to developing a build schedule and engaging with sub-contractors, ACA assist and educate the Self Builder throughout the build process.
When ACA provide a Fee Proposal for a new house project, the required services are split up into logical stages. These have a fixed cost and an advised timescale. The RIBA suggest that an average fee for this type of project would equate to between 8-10% of the overall Construction Cost.
At ACA, we believe our clients should know all of the main facts and costs before committing to a project, so we work on a fixed cost rather than a percentage – that way our fee isn’t determined by how expensive your build is!
Suggested Service –
Stage 1 – Initial Design Development
- Preparation of a draft programme and briefing document, which will be used throughout the project
- Preparation of 2 design options for your review, in our 3D drawing package
- Meet with you to review the options, either in our office or at your home. We will then walk you around the proposal in 3D format
- Completion of final option, usually this will be an amalgamation of the 2 initial options
- Complete pre-application discussions with the local planning department
- Revise option depending on planning discussions
Stage 2 – Planning Submission
- Work up initial design drawings to planning level, including plans, sections and elevations
- Prepare our BIMx model, so you can walk around your home on your PC, TV or iPad
- Initial cost check with contractor or QS
- Completion of external rendered images, which will be key for the planning submission success
- Complete any additional drawings or statements required to support the planning application
- Draft SAP calculation exercise, which accurately predict the energy performance of the dwelling
- Lodge the planning application and deal with any queries during the application (allow 8 weeks for review)
Stage 3 – Detail Design Development
- Technical review and investigation of various suitable construction methods, including possible integration of Eco design and smart technologies (ground source, air source heat pumps, heat recovery technology)
- Selection of construction method and detailed design, including 2D drawings and specifications
- Integration of Structural Engineers design information. Confirmation of heating requirements and energy performance of design
- Final SAP calculation exercise, which accurately predict the energy performance of the dwelling
- Complete and Issue draft EPC
- Completion of building control drawings and specifications. Application for building standards approval (Allow 6 weeks for decision)
Stage 4 – Production Information
- Development of construction drawings, specifications and schedules (windows & doors)
- Integration of structural engineers design information and any other consultants
- Integration of detailed ventilation and any standard heating or renewable energy sources etc
- Review SIPS/Kit package on your behalf
- Review Window & Door package on your behalf
- Selection of all interior and exterior materials, with samples provided for your approval
- Completion of construction drawings, specifications and schedules, which will form part of the tender documents
- Liaise with QS or contractor to provide an accurate final cost plan
- Assist client in interviewing & choosing suitable contractors
Stage 5 – On site Supervision
- Regular site visits to check on work and provide any assistance to the contractor
- Provide Completion Certificate visit and certification via the local Council
- Provide CML mortgage certificates, to release staged funding from your lender