We are happy to now be able to offer a structural engineering service to our clients delivered by Allan Corfield Structures, our sister company that was founded last year.
ACA and ACS now offer a one stop shop for our Self-Build clients, allowing structural engineers to work hand-in-hand with our growing architectural team. This will give us more control over our projects and even more benefits to our self-builders.
This approach will allow our clients to get the best value for money, even when creating their dream Grand Design home.
ALLAN CORFIELD STRUCTURES
Led by Technical Director, Chartered Structural Engineer David Gallagher, ACS now offers a market leading service for both ACA and all external clients.
ACS specialise in designing residential projects using Modern Methods of Construction, including Timber frame, SIPS and ICF construction types. The adoption of BIM design and analysis software, helps ACS integrate with the wider design team and clients, from the concept design stage. ACS also offers specialist design services for steel connections, stair and balustrade design.
David attained an MEng in Civil Engineering Design and Management at Dundee University in 2006.
During his career, he has obtained a wealth of experience working in the UK, Middle East and New Zealand working on a number of high profile projects before joining AC Structures. After returning to the UK in 2012, David returned to the design office including 5 years working for Harley Haddow where he took the structural design lead on a wide range of projects from house extensions to exemplar Passivhaus research centres and hotel conversions of A-listed buildings.
David joins the ACA team as Technical Director of ACS with the focus of complementing the existing high level architectural services provided with an aligned and coordinated structural support to provide clients with a holistic design approach.
David is now actively searching for engineering talent to help grow the team and continue to build on the early successes.
THE ADVANTAGES OF WORKING WITH US
ACA and ACS are separate companies with a shared vision and a shared office. We work closely together to optimise resources and most importantly expertise from the very start of your project. A collaborative approached, early engagement and aligned thinking enables us to maximise efficiencies, push possibilities and provide greater cost certainty and minimised design led changes.
- For Self-Build homes, clear communication of structural requirements and consideration of buildability are particularly critical for a successful project. ACS are committed to realising the ambitions of the Client while providing expert guidance on how aspirations can be achieved in the most efficient, safe and practical way.
- Early engagement of an integrated Structural Engineering team allows rapid iteration and evaluation of ideas to allow Clients to make informed and considered design choices with reduced design implications and improved project value.
ACS offers the following services to all clients –
- Initial Site evaluation service:
- Soil Investigation
- Estimation of foundation type
- Review of surface & foul drainage solutions
- Porosity test
- Structural design & analysis of all main structural elements:
- Ground floor slabs
- Structural ties and fixings
- Floors, walls and roofs – SIPS, Timber frame, ICF or traditional
- Additional structural framing (timber or steel) required to transfer loadings down to foundations
- Secondary support for any proposed glazing systems
- Off grid/SUDS drainage design
- Structural Engineers Registration Scheme (SER) Certification of all structural elements, in support of the Building Warrant application. This will include review of third-party design elements such as stairs, balustrades and glazing
- Ad hoc on-site assistance & reporting
- Existing building structural condition surveys
OUR STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING SERVICES
In addition to providing Timber Frame, SIPs and ICF superstructure design services, ACS are also pleased to offer specialist contractor design for:
- Condition surveys of existing structures
- Bespoke steel stair design
- Glass and steel balustrade design
- Medium and high-risk glazing design (large glazed panels, high level glazing, glass forming a barrier)
- Temporary works design
- Retaining wall design